Fund-raising duo will bath in baked beans at charity bonanza
- Credit: Archant
Father and daughter, Rob and Grace Hancock will be braving a bath filled with baked beans to raise money for charity.
The duo, who live in Little Downham, will take turns to sit in a bath tub while supporters pay to tip tins of cold beans over them.
The tins of beans, which are damaged and past their sell-by-date, are being donated by Ely Foodbank.
The stunt is taking place on Saturday, from 1.30-3.30pm at the Lighthouse Centre, in Lynn Road, Ely, with members of the public invited to come down and lend their support.
All funds raised will be split between the Luke Cory Trust and Ely Foodbank.
Grace, 15, a student at Soham Village College, said she was looking forward to the challenge and wasn’t at all fazed by the thought of being covered in cold beans.
“I quite like beans so I am more than happy to be taking part,” she said.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 10 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
The bath tub was purchased especially for the occasion from a scrap yard by Rob, 46, who is a teacher at Ely College and is sure to attract donations from more than a few of his students.
Cathy Wright, from Ely Foodbank, said: “As this is a worthy cause to support, the foodbank have been putting aside damaged baked beans for the last six months to help fill the bath and shower Grace and Rob.
“Ely Foodbank have received many great donations from recent Harvest Festivals which has boosted their stocks, however if sponsors of the event would like to replace the beans, could they please donate instant mash, rice, cereal and tinned sponge puddings.”
If you can’t make it on the day, you can still donate to Rob and Grace’s cause online at: virginmoneygiving.com/team/BeanBathBonanza