Fun for all on Saint’s day
ELY S ST Mary s Green will be a riot of colour, bunting and marquees on Sunday for the city s spectacular St George s Day celebrations. And the Ely Standard is offering some fantastic prizes (details below) to mark the event, including a hamper full of g
ELY'S ST Mary's Green will be a riot of colour, bunting and marquees on Sunday for the city's spectacular St George's Day celebrations.
And the Ely Standard is offering some fantastic prizes (details below) to mark the event, including a hamper full of goodies and fish and chips for two.
There will be a regional emphasis at the traditional country fair, which will feature East Anglian Molly Dancing, a celebration of the Littleport riots and local produce alongside wider traditions like Maypole dancing and a St George and the dragon puppet show.
The event, organised by Ely's Tourist Information Centre, will also see visits from Q103 radio station, with one of the station's trademark Black Thunder vehicles, and the Ely Standard's own Journeyman Jones, in full costume as the patron Saint of England himself.
There will be plenty to keep an entire family occupied, including traditional games, a lucky dip, face-painting and displays of wood-turning, quilting and weaving.
The day kicks off at noon, when the event will be officially opened by Cllr Richard Hobbs, with Maypole dancing from children at the Rackham Primary School in Witchford. Morris dancers will close the event at 4pm.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
Competition - The La Hogue Farm Shop and delicatessen in Chippenham is giving away a hamper full of locally-produced goodies to celebrate the St George's Day festivities. The second prize is fish and chips for two at Ely Fish Bar.
All you have to do is to make as many words as you possibly can from:
All words must be three letters or more and plurals will not count towards your total. All entries must be received at Ely tourist Information Centre, Oliver Cromwell's House, Ely. CB7 4HF. You can always drop your entry in when you visit on Sunday.
St George's Day timetable
Noon - Opening ceremony with Cllr Richard Hobbs and Maypole dancing.
1pm - St George and the dragon puppet show.
1.15pm - Maypole dancing.
2pm - Morris dancing.
2.30pm - St George and the dragon puppet show.
3-3.20pm - Isle Singers.
3.40-4pm - Morris Dancing.
4pm - Close.