Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- Credit: PA
Supermarket chain Lidl has released a list of Cambridgeshire locations for “potential store development” amid plans for 1,000 new shops.
The discounter is seeking “prominent sites” that are “easily accessible and have a strong pedestrian or traffic flow” across the region.
They have eyed up locations in Ely, Soham, Cambridge, Newmarket, Mildenhall, Peterborough, Soham, St Ives and Whittlesey, amongst several others.
Christian Härtnagel, Lidl GB chief executive officer, said: “We are calling on developers and landlords up and down the country to help find potential sites for us to build Lidl stores.
“Despite the challenges of the past year, we still managed to meet our ambitious target of opening, on average, one new store per week across Great Britain.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking forward to opening more stores throughout the country and welcoming new colleagues in the coming months and years, so that more communities can access quality food at the lowest prices on the market.”
All stores will include Lidl’s famous bakery, offering freshly baked bread, biscuits and pastries, created by the discounter’s in-store bakers throughout the day.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 8 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 9 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
In addition, all new Lidl stores will feature solar panels on the exterior to provide renewable energy for the site, in addition to the installation of electric vehicle charging points.
Each new store will also become part of Lidl’s food redistribution programme Feed It Back, which sees surplus food donated to those within local communities that need it the most.
Locations eyed-up by Lidl:
- Cambridge - East
- Cambridge - North
- Cambridge - South
- Cambridge - West
- Downham Market
- Market Deeping
- Peterborough - East
- Peterborough - South
- Peterborough - West
- St Ives
- St Neots