Plans to setup a ‘Friends of Ely Cemetery’ group to help those interested in history
- Credit: Archant
A ‘Friends of Ely Cemetery’ group could be setup in a bid to create an archive of existing records that will be of interest to those exploring their family history.
Ely Cemetery was opened in 1855 and is the resting place of 16,000 former residents of the city covering 13 acres.
The City Council has recently agreed to create the group - should there be enough interest - to see what might be done to build on existing records and to create an archive that will be of interest to those looking into their family tree and the history of Ely.
There are complete records of burials in the cemetery and some interred there have fine memorials – but many others do not and their resting places are unmarked.
Bosses say that the first task would be the collecting of memorial inscriptions from some of the earlier graves where weathering has caused damage and decay.
You may also want to watch:
Other projects might include the gathering of biographical information and the setting up of a website as a resource for people visiting the cemetery and for family historians.
If you would be interested in helping to develop this project or simply have ideas about what might be done please contact: Mrs Sarah Jay, at The City of Ely Council, Sessions House Lynn Road Ely CB7 4EG, Tel 01353 661047 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
Should there be enough interest a meeting will be arranged and the City Council.