Witchford Village College trials free breakfasts for all pupils to give them a flying start to the day
- Credit: Archant
A school in Witchford has introduced free breakfasts for all pupils – with around 160 eaten in the first week alone.
Witchford Village College put a bid in at the end of last year for funding to secure a free trial of breakfasts.
Students can choose from a piece of toast or a cup of hot porridge – which both will set them up for the school day.
The trial, which was introduced last week, runs alongside the current breakfast menu.
A school spokesperson said: “Our chef in charge of catering, Julia Wilson, put in a bid late last year for funding and a sum of money has been awarded to trial free breakfasts for all.
You may also want to watch:
“If students go without breakfast it can make them feel tired, restless, or irritable.
“Bodies need to refuel for the day ahead after going without food during the night. Mood and energy levels can drop by midmorning if they don’t eat at least a small morning meal.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“We are very pleased and happy with the response from the whole college and we hope to continue this offer to support students in their learning.”