Free Passes Available For Ely Cathedral
PEOPLE living in the surrounding villages of Ely are to be offered a free pass for Ely Cathedral. During the month of November, anyone who lives within a 10-mile radius of Ely, will be able to obtain a free pass for Ely Cathedral, valid for one year. Ala
PEOPLE living in the surrounding villages of Ely are to be offered a free pass for Ely Cathedral. During the month of November, anyone who lives within a 10-mile radius of Ely, will be able to obtain a free pass for Ely Cathedral, valid for one year.
Alan Hargrave, the canon missioner at Ely Cathedral explained: "Unfortunately, because of the massive costs involved in keeping the cathedral running we were one of the first cathedrals to find it necessary to charge an admission fee although we have always offered free passes to Ely residents. However, we are aware that many of the people who come to Ely on market days and who live in the surrounding villages are not currently eligible for a free pass and, before charging was introduced, they would often pop into the cathedral after doing their shopping. We hope the new scheme will encourage them to do this again."
Lesley Ann Thompson, marketing manager at the cathedral, added: "Ely is regarded as one of the most beautiful of all the British cathedrals and was recently nominated one of the 'Top 20 must-see buildings in the UK'. We feel it is important that people who live locally to this amazing building have the opportunity to come in and experience it for themselves."
Free passes will be issued on Thursday mornings in November between 9am and noon at the main West Door (front of the cathedral) admissions desk. Anyone wishing to apply for a free pass will need to bring some proof of where they live.
You may also want to watch:
Pic cap: Free Ely Cathedral passes are available for people living outside the Ely area.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Powcher's Hall, The College, Ely, CB7 4DL. Tel 01353 660304