Free Passes Available For Ely Cathedral
PEOPLE living in the surrounding villages of Ely are to be offered a free pass for Ely Cathedral. During the month of November, anyone who lives within a 10-mile radius of Ely, will be able to obtain a free pass for Ely Cathedral, valid for one year. Ala
PEOPLE living in the surrounding villages of Ely are to be offered a free pass for Ely Cathedral. During the month of November, anyone who lives within a 10-mile radius of Ely, will be able to obtain a free pass for Ely Cathedral, valid for one year.
Alan Hargrave, the canon missioner at Ely Cathedral explained: "Unfortunately, because of the massive costs involved in keeping the cathedral running we were one of the first cathedrals to find it necessary to charge an admission fee although we have always offered free passes to Ely residents. However, we are aware that many of the people who come to Ely on market days and who live in the surrounding villages are not currently eligible for a free pass and, before charging was introduced, they would often pop into the cathedral after doing their shopping. We hope the new scheme will encourage them to do this again."
Lesley Ann Thompson, marketing manager at the cathedral, added: "Ely is regarded as one of the most beautiful of all the British cathedrals and was recently nominated one of the 'Top 20 must-see buildings in the UK'. We feel it is important that people who live locally to this amazing building have the opportunity to come in and experience it for themselves."
Free passes will be issued on Thursday mornings in November between 9am and noon at the main West Door (front of the cathedral) admissions desk. Anyone wishing to apply for a free pass will need to bring some proof of where they live.
Pic cap: Free Ely Cathedral passes are available for people living outside the Ely area.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
Powcher's Hall, The College, Ely, CB7 4DL. Tel 01353 660304