Free minor eye treatment on the NHS based in opticians in Ely and Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
People suffering eye problems like visual disturbance or sore eyes can be assessed and treated at new free eye clinics based within optician outlets in the county.
Spectacular Opticians in Ely and Specsavers in Newmarket are among the venues that can treat minor problems on the NHS.
Alison Lask an optometrist at A and I Lask in Cambridge said: “If you have a minor eye condition then you can take advantage of this new and free service.
“Local optometrists have been trained and accredited to treat patients in a number of community based settings which means you can be seen closer to home and avoid a trip to hospital.
“You should be aware that if you have a major eye condition that is being regularly monitored by your optometrist or hospital eye service, for example cataract or glaucoma, that this will not be covered by this service.”
This free NHS service is available to patients over the age of 16 and is accessed from a number of opticians (optometry practices), she said.
Some of the eye conditions the service can safely assess and treat in the community include some types of red eyes or eye lids, dry eyes, sticky discharge, watery eyes and ingrown eyelashes,
- 1 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 2 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 3 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 9 Drink-driver 'almost hit police car' in crash
- 10 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
Patients will be asked some questions about their symptoms in order to assess how quickly they need seeing by the service.
Patients have to be registered with a GP practice in Ely, Wisbech, Royston, Cambridge, Huntingdon, St Ives or St Neots.