Frankie Dettori sports official 350th anniversary Jockey Silks designed by local school girl Naomi Baldock
- Credit: Archant
An 11-year-old girl from Newmarket is celebrating after her jockey silk design was hand-picked by horseracing legend Frankie Dettori to be Newmarket Racecouse’s official silk.
Naomi Baldock’s black and gold design was picked from thousands of entries by Dettori to be used as the racecourse’s official silk to celebrate its 350th anniversary.
The winning silk has since been modelled by Dettori himself, and will soon go on display at the newly-opened Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art.
Naomi said: “I enjoy designing and this competition provided a fantastic opportunity to combine this with the local industry of horseracing.
“I took my inspiration from the ‘350 years of making history’ logo and some jockey silks I had seen on a visit to a local stud. I never expected to actually win.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been amazing to see Frankie Dettori actually wearing my design. I can’t wait to see it sitting pride of place in the National Heritage Centre.”
Detorri said picking Naomi’s design was an easy decision.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
“You can’t miss a jockey when we’re in our silks, the eclectic mix of colours is traditional to the sport,” he said.
“Myself and the other judges were looking for a creative design that really told the story of 350 years of horseracing in Newmarket. Naomi’s design we felt really showed this, so much so it was a unanimous decision.”
Saville Row designer and fellow judge Patrick Grant was also a big fan of the silk.
“Naomi’s design is bold and modern and unlike any silk I’ve seen before. It’s visually arresting and feels very much tied to the traditions of the sport of Horseracing.”