Former world champion potter swaps his cue for clubs for visit to Ely
- Credit: Archant
Snooker star Shaun Murphy traded his cue for clubs as he swung by Ely City Golf Club at the start of this week.
Murphy is the reigning Masters champion and a former world champion, having been at the top of his sport for the past decade.
As the son of a golf professional, in the summer months he swaps potting for putting. And Murphy put his five-handicap to the test at Ely City where he played with club member Tony Rushmer, his long-term public relations advisor.
Murphy showed a deft touch on the greens, burying long-range putts in the same easy style that he sinks blacks on the green baize.
He said: “It is the first time I have visited Ely and it seems a lovely city. I certainly really enjoyed the golf course.
“It is in excellent condition and presented a really good test of golf. I was made to feel very welcome by everyone off the course as well and look forward to returning in the not-too-distant future.”
Last month Murphy completed the most consistent season of his career to date. He landed three titles before just losing out in an epic World Championship final with Stuart Bingham at the Crucible Theatre, in Sheffield.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Murphy is due to commence a new campaign at the end of the month, competing in the Australian Goldfields Open in the state of Victoria.
He added: “I am very much looking forward to the new season but hopefully there will be time for a few more games of golf before the summer finishes.”