Former Haddenham post office could be turned into a house as no luck after being put on the market
- Credit: Archant
The former post office in Haddenham could be transformed into a two-storey family house after sitting empty for two years.
The shop in High Street was once a staple of the village before the post office moved to its existing premises in the Spar store.
It comes as the property has been on the market since May last year - with only eight viewings and two price reductions but no offers made.
Now plans have been put forward to East Cambs District Council for change of use to the building which would see it refurbished into a home.
Developers say that the intention is to refurbish and repair the existing house throughout; “respecting what is left of the current fabric and replacing and renovating elements of the facades.”
The planning application states: “The current house and shop are vacant which has resulted in a level of decay to the building fabric over the winter of 2016 and 2017.
“A change of use of the former post office and refurbishment of the building as a whole would produce a large family residential property.
- 1 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 4 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 5 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 6 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' following A1303 crash
- 7 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 10 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
“There is no loss of amenity to the village as a result of this change of use and the quality and standard of the refurbishment to no.21 High Street will improve the aspect from the High Street complimenting the existing surrounding buildings and reflecting on its heritage.
“While the retail element would be lost the amenity of the post office is still accessible to the residents of Haddenham. The new occupants of no.21 are highly likely to use and support the local amenities and businesses within the village.”
Brickwork and the existing shop front will be replaced and repaired using reclaimed bricks.
New sash windows and an entrance door from the street would also be added to the building and the existing remains of the arches retained if possible.
While the building is not listed, it is identified in ‘The Haddenham Conservation Area Supplementary Planning Document’ as being a locally important building.
Plans have been put forward under agents CPK Architects who are based in Peterborough.
A decision will be made at a planning committee meeting in the coming weeks.