Former Mayor Of Ely and Community Champion Dies
FORMER mayor of Ely and community champion Derek Crawley, died on Thursday morning. A mayor of the city on three occasions, Derek passed away at 11am on Thursday after a long-illness. A Rotarian for 26 years, Derek was awarded Rotary International s highe
FORMER mayor of Ely and community champion Derek Crawley, died on Thursday morning.
A mayor of the city on three occasions, Derek passed away at 11am on Thursday after a long-illness.
A Rotarian for 26 years, Derek was awarded Rotary International's highest honour in January for dedicated service to the organisation. He spent more than two decades as a figurehead of the group and raised thousands of pounds for charities worldwide.
Derek also served on the boards of Dial-a-Ride, Citizens Advice Bureaux, Ely Horticultural Society, Ely Community College and the Needhams Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
City Cllr Ron Bradney, described Derek as 'a man perfectly suited to the role of mayor and of being in charge of public money. A very studious man."
Mayor Richard Hobbs, a personal friend of Derek's said: "I don't think enough can be said for Derek he was that kind of man. He will be a tremendous loss for the council and for all the organisations with whom he served.
- 1 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 2 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 3 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 4 Round one to High Flyer after highways gives thumbs up to giant mug
- 5 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 6 Our weekly round-up of what Ely Standard readers have to say
- 7 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 8 Foodbank receives ‘kind’ cash donation from housebuilder
- 9 Leader’s reminder of human cost of £100k homes fall-out
- 10 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
"He contributed so much to the council and to the community, he was a person with great generosity and I feel greatly for his wife and family at this time."
Derek had recently been voted to receive freeman of the city status in October, an award Mayor Hobbs thinks should still be granted.
Cllr Peter Cresswell, Chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council, said:
"All members of East Cambridgeshire District Council were saddened to hear of the passing of Derek Crawley. He was well respected and will be sadly missed by all who knew him. Our sincere condolences and sympathy go to his family."