Former Mayor Of Ely and Community Champion Dies
FORMER mayor of Ely and community champion Derek Crawley, died on Thursday morning. A mayor of the city on three occasions, Derek passed away at 11am on Thursday after a long-illness. A Rotarian for 26 years, Derek was awarded Rotary International s highe
FORMER mayor of Ely and community champion Derek Crawley, died on Thursday morning.
A mayor of the city on three occasions, Derek passed away at 11am on Thursday after a long-illness.
A Rotarian for 26 years, Derek was awarded Rotary International's highest honour in January for dedicated service to the organisation. He spent more than two decades as a figurehead of the group and raised thousands of pounds for charities worldwide.
Derek also served on the boards of Dial-a-Ride, Citizens Advice Bureaux, Ely Horticultural Society, Ely Community College and the Needhams Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
City Cllr Ron Bradney, described Derek as 'a man perfectly suited to the role of mayor and of being in charge of public money. A very studious man."
Mayor Richard Hobbs, a personal friend of Derek's said: "I don't think enough can be said for Derek he was that kind of man. He will be a tremendous loss for the council and for all the organisations with whom he served.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 5 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 8 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 9 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
"He contributed so much to the council and to the community, he was a person with great generosity and I feel greatly for his wife and family at this time."
Derek had recently been voted to receive freeman of the city status in October, an award Mayor Hobbs thinks should still be granted.
Cllr Peter Cresswell, Chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council, said:
"All members of East Cambridgeshire District Council were saddened to hear of the passing of Derek Crawley. He was well respected and will be sadly missed by all who knew him. Our sincere condolences and sympathy go to his family."