Former Ely pupil lands National Theatre role
- Credit: Archant
WHEN a performance of the National Theatre’s production of The Magistrate was screened live at Ely Cinema at the Maltings this week, two members of the audience had a very special reason for making sure of their tickets.
Nigel and Anne Ovens’ daughter Sarah is a leading member of the cast.
Twenty-six-year-old Sarah graduated in 2009 from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama with a first class honours degree.
Her first professional role followed that autumn when she was cast as Marianne in Moliere’s The Miser at the Royal Exchange in Manchester and then landed her first television role as one of the Martin sisters in the BBC’s autumn serialisation of Jane Austin’s Emma.
Sarah appeared at Stratford-upon-Avon in the Royal Shakespeare Company’s 2012 production of The Heresy of Love, playing Angelica, before starting rehearsals for The Magistrate, an acclaimed revival of the mid-Victorian farce by Arthur Wing Pinero.
You may also want to watch:
Nigel Ovens, head of information technology at King’s Ely Junior where Sarah was a pupil, said: “We were thrilled when we saw a performance of the play was going to be screened in Ely. It’s a wonderful initiative by National Theatre Live, ADeC and Ely Cinema.”
National Theatre Live offers audiences around the world the chance to see the best of British theatre broadcast live from the London stage. Ely Cinema is one of 500 cinemas in 20 countries which have collaborated with the initiative.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car