Andy Wright of Littleport, former chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council and honorary alderman, has died
- Credit: Archant
Andy Wright, a former chairman of East Cambridgeshire District Council, has died.
Mr Wright, who was chairman of the council from 1988 to 1990, was a long term Littleport councillor. He was made an honorary alderman of the council last May.
Cllr Mike Rouse said: “I am so pleased that East Cambs Council recognised his great service to our community by making him an honorary alderman last May.
“Our thoughts and condolences are with his family.
“Like his father before him, he was a long term Littleport councillor and champion of that village.”
You may also want to watch:
Last year the district council recognised his long service and “outstanding achievement”.
At the ceremony East Cambs council chairman Peter Creswell said: “Mr Wright has dedicated 39 years to this council and it was a pleasure to be able to reward his service.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
It was the first time East Cambridgeshire District Council had conferred the title on a former councillor.
Council leader Charles Roberts told said: “After nearly four decades of service to the council, it is great to mark this outstanding achievement.
“During his time at East Cambs, former councillor Wright was dedicated to supporting the community and determined to do the right thing for his district.
“He was a pleasure to work alongside and I am delighted that the council have made him an honorary alderman.”
Mr Wright was elected as the independent member for Littleport in 1976 and served until 2015. He was chairman of the council from 1988-1990, leader of the independent group until 2011, and served on various committees.
During that time, he held the position of chairman on eight different committees.