Former car showroom to be given no lease of life as shop plans approved
- Credit: Archant
Plans to convert a former car showroom in Ely into a possible mini-supermarket have been given the go-ahead by planning officials.
KDM Enterprises – understood to be a shop-fitting firm based in Scotland – wants to change the use of the former Marshalls garage in St Mary’s Street from a car showroom into a retail and business hub.
The unit has sat empty for more than a year.
Speculation - driven by the fact that KDM has worked with Tesco in the past - has abounded that the vacant building could be about to become a mini-supermarket.
According to the company’s application, the change of use would result in 20 new part-time jobs and 10 new full-time jobs.
You may also want to watch:
According to the plans, the premises would includes retail floor space, a warehouse, a food preparation area, offices and a staff room.
Neighbours of the site complained to East Cambridgeshire District Council that the extra traffic in the area would cause a noise nuisance and leave pedestrians at risk but the council dismissed the concerns.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 3 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 9 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 10 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
In his report, case officer Scott Jackson, said: “In this case it is considered that the scale and nature of the retailing will meet a local community need and will not have an adverse impact on the viability and vitality of Ely city centre.
“In addition, the proposed change of use will create employment, it will bring a vacant site back into active use. It will enhance the character and appearance of the Ely conservation are and is an accessible site.”