Car causes traffic chaos on A11 slip road from M11 after it caught fire while driving during rush hour
- Credit: SUBMITTED
A car caused traffic chaos on Wednesday evening after it burst into flames during rush hour on a main Cambridgeshire road.
The car was driving on the A11 slip road, leaving the M11 near Great Chesterford, when it burst into flames, causing major delays during peak driving time.
A passer-by filmed the incident, which took place on January 30, on their dash cam – the dramatic footage shows high flames coming out of the small car on the slip road.
A spokesman for the Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We arrived to find a car well alight near Stump Cross.
“Wearing breathing apparatus we extinguished the fire using a hose reel and returned to their stations by 6.45pm. The cause of this fire was accidental.”
Firefighters were assisted by officers from Cambridgeshire Police who arrived shortly after and tried their best to coordinate traffic around the blaze.
A spokesman said: “We were called at 4.47pm on January 30 with reports that a car was on fire on the M11 near Great Chesterford.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
“The incident happened on the slip road joining the A11. Officers attended the scene to assist fire crews dealing with the incident.”