For the record
Hundreds of people braved the heat on Saturday to take part in the city s Big Dance event. More than 430 people made their way to Jubilee Gardens, Ely – the Cambridgeshire location for a Guinness Book of Records attempt at a dance record whiich was broken
Hundreds of people braved the heat on Saturday to take part in the city's Big Dance event.
More than 430 people made their way to Jubilee Gardens, Ely - the Cambridgeshire location for a Guinness Book of Records attempt at a dance record whiich was broken with 8,962 people taking part.
Tracey Harding, tourism and events officer at East Cambs District Council, who helped to organise the event, said: "I was so pleased with the turnout from the local dance groups as well as the general public. The whole event was great fun and it was lovely to be part of a national televised event."
Local dance groups, including Octagon Studios, Lantern Dance Group, Lane Academy, Maple Academy and Featherstone all suffered the heat for an hour's rehearsal with assigned dance captain Diccon Hogger. After putting them through their paces, volunteers joined them for the record attempt at 12.30pm.
Simultaneously, across the country, dancers were performing the same routine at more than 40 locations.
"The routine was easy to pick up, great fun to do and everyone seemed to thorough enjoy themselves, despite the fierce sun," said Mrs Harding.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 5 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
BBC Radio Cambridgeshire broadcast its lunchtime show from the gardens and several Ely people were interviewed on air.
Mrs Harding said: "This whole event has given Ely a fantastic promotional opportunity and has also proved once again, what great community spirit Ely has."
Photo: GEOFF DURRANT
More photos coming soon!