Footballer not guilty of match attack

PUBLISHED: 16:19 02 November 2006 | UPDATED: 12:06 04 May 2010

FOOTBALLER Barry Watson has been found not guilty of launching an attack on an opposing player during a match at Littleport. It had been alleged that Watson lost his temper when he was tackled, and rained blows down on James Bissett, when he was playing

FOOTBALLER Barry Watson has been found not guilty of launching an attack on an opposing player during a match at Littleport.

It had been alleged that Watson lost his temper when he was tackled, and "rained blows" down on James Bissett, when he was playing for QPR Ely against Chippenham

But at Ely courthouse on Thursday, 33-year-old Watson, of Orton Drive, Witchford, was cleared of assaulting the Chippenham player on January 8 during a match that ended 0-0.

Prosecuting, Victoria Lorne said: "Two Chippenham players tackled Watson, and both Watson and James Bissett ended up on the ground.

"Watson stood over him, shouted and punched him in the face. He then rained blows down on him, and was pulled away by other players."

Mr Bissett claimed he was punched between five and seven times, and was treated at the Princess of Wales Hospital.

In the witness box, Watson denied any intentional assault. His knees had been injured in a tackle, he said, and he fell in pain.

"I fell on to some bodies on the floor, I was trying to get up," he said. "I was in too much pain to structure an assault."

He had been "thrashing around" after he was injured, but did not remember any physical contact with another player.

"I am a heavy lump and if I fell on someone it would hurt," he added.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists