Football fan Dan hoping for plenty of support for charity walk
LITTLEPORT football fan Dan Gawthrop will be showing his true colours in September when he walks from Anfield to Ely in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust.
Anfield is home to Premier League side Liverpool, and Dan plans to set out on his 160-mile walk from the gates of the famous old ground on his way to the finishing line at Ely City Football Club some six days later.
A campervan will be following the 22-year-old as he treks over roads and countryside but, apart from a bed to sleep on, Dan will be on his own for the duration, with only a change bucket and an iPod for company.
Dan chose to raise funds for the Teenage Cancer Trust Unit at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, to support the work they are doing with his cousin, who was diagnosed with a brain tumour earlier this year.
He said: “I’ve been playing a lot of football in pre-season with both Newmarket and Wilbraham so I’m hoping I will be in good shape for my walk.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like as many people as possible to be at Ely City when I arrive back and I appreciate any support people can offer me.”
To help Dan’s campaign visit: www.justgiving.com/Dan-GawthropECCF
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 6 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 9 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 10 Dessert-lover travelled 150 miles north for ‘TikTok famous’ waffle