Foodbank needs volunteers to help run new Sutton branch
- Credit: Archant
Ely Foodbank is set to open a new branch in Sutton and organisers are appealing for a team of volunteers to help run it.
Negotiations have been ongoing between the foodbank and Sutton Parish Council for a number of weeks and it is expected that a new branch will open at The Glebe in the autumn.
Since it was launched in Ely, in 2012, the foodbank has expanded rapidly into Littleport, Soham, March and Chatteris, and volunteers are handing out more than 3,500 meals a month – double what they were two years ago.
Officials at the foodbank say that families in East Cambridgeshire’s rural villages often struggle finding transport to get to a distribution centre so they are planning to expand their reach with a new outlet in Sutton.
Sutton councillor Lorna Dupre noted on her blog: “Ely Foodbank hopes to have a collection and distribution service running in Sutton by the autumn.
You may also want to watch:
“The foodbank has already secured the agreement of the parish council to provide accommodation at The Glebe, and now needs to find at least 15 volunteers to help run the service in Sutton.
“Volunteers will need to be available for about an hour and half once a week, on a rota basis. Training will be provided before the service opens, which organisers hope will be in October or early November.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
If you would be interested in volunteering for the foodbank in Sutton, e-mail Ely Foodbank no later than September 8. Meetings about the foodbank will be held in Ely at 3pm on Tuesday, September 9, and again on September 16.