‘Find another route or buy a boat,’ say Welney Flood Watch volunteers
- Credit: Anthony MW Gleave
Flood watch volunteers have slammed drivers attempting to cross the flooded Welney Wash and are urging motorists to “buy a boat”.
A 4x4 was snapped half submerged in the flooded A1101 over the weekend despite flashing warning signs and 'road closed’ barriers.
“River levels at Welney have risen during the day and are now at 3.44m,” said the Welney Flood Watch in an update on Sunday (January 31).
“It indicates 104cm/41inches of flood water on the road; flashing sign telemetry is now displaying 94cm/37inches.”
It comes just days after a car was left fully submerged on Sutton Gault Causeway near Ely, sparking a major emergency rescue operation.
You may also want to watch:
Flood watch added: “Our roving kayak photographer Anthony has been out and about this afternoon and snapped the below pictures of an attempt by a discovery driver who for some reason has driven by signs advising the depth of water and that the road is flooded and closed.
“Do these people have any brains. They clearly do not follow flood watch.
- 1 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 2 Sutton couple mark seven decades of marriage
- 3 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 4 Town considers home for market
- 5 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 6 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 7 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 8 Skate park campaigners hope Olympic glory works in their favour
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
“I would remind folks that Welney wash road is FLOODED with over 1 metre of flood water on it, the road is currently CLOSED so find another route or buy a boat.
“It is likely to be flooded all of next week.
“We need to share the message further afield to help stop this stupidity as signage clearly does not work on its own, please share with as many friends as you can and follow our daily posts.”