Floating hotel opens for river cruises in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A floating hotel is now open for relaxing retreats or family and friends get togethers in Ely.
The Hotel Barge Waternimf is moored near the Grand Central and Cutter restaurant where guests board - it can then take a river cruise in either direction depending on what guests would like to do.
The boat was renovated by Donna and Stuart Fowler.
Donna said: “There’s not a disco ball in sight! People worried this was gong to be some sort of floating disco but you couldn’t get further from the truth.
“It is aimed at being a relaxing retreat and something a bit different.
“We are offering a holiday retreat for exploring Ely, Cambridge or surrounding areas.
“It is ideal for a variety of small functions and events, formal or informal such as family gatherings and celebrations where the whole boat can be chartered, and a river cruise to a local riverside pub and restaurant could be organised - cruising is however dependable on the British weather.”
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
There are five double en suite bedrooms – four with en suite shower rooms.
The stern cabin has a bath in the room with en suite.
The cabins are named after Dutch barges - bow cabins are Aak, Kagenaar, Hold cabins are Klipper, Skutsje and the stern cabin is called Tjalk.
It has taken 11 months for the conversion – April 2016 to March 2017 - and throughout the conversion local craftsmen were employed.
Each cabin has a hot drink machine, TV, safe deposit box, bed linen, towels, complimentary toiletries included along with wifi throughout the barge.