Floating hotel opens for river cruises in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A floating hotel is now open for relaxing retreats or family and friends get togethers in Ely.
The Hotel Barge Waternimf is moored near the Grand Central and Cutter restaurant where guests board - it can then take a river cruise in either direction depending on what guests would like to do.
The boat was renovated by Donna and Stuart Fowler.
Donna said: “There’s not a disco ball in sight! People worried this was gong to be some sort of floating disco but you couldn’t get further from the truth.
“It is aimed at being a relaxing retreat and something a bit different.
You may also want to watch:
“We are offering a holiday retreat for exploring Ely, Cambridge or surrounding areas.
“It is ideal for a variety of small functions and events, formal or informal such as family gatherings and celebrations where the whole boat can be chartered, and a river cruise to a local riverside pub and restaurant could be organised - cruising is however dependable on the British weather.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
There are five double en suite bedrooms – four with en suite shower rooms.
The stern cabin has a bath in the room with en suite.
The cabins are named after Dutch barges - bow cabins are Aak, Kagenaar, Hold cabins are Klipper, Skutsje and the stern cabin is called Tjalk.
It has taken 11 months for the conversion – April 2016 to March 2017 - and throughout the conversion local craftsmen were employed.
Each cabin has a hot drink machine, TV, safe deposit box, bed linen, towels, complimentary toiletries included along with wifi throughout the barge.