Five-year-old Newmarket girl and driver in 30s from Mildenhall in ‘critical but stable’ condition after car and lorry crashed on Parkway Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Renewed appeals for anyone who saw the car and lorry involved in yesterday’s crash on Parkway, Bury St Edmunds, have been made.
A man in his 30s from Mildenhall who was driving the BMW and his passenger, a girl believed to be five-years-old from Newmarket, are in a critical but stable condition according to police.
They were both freed from the car and taken by air ambulance to Addenbrooke’s Hospital after the BMW collided with a lorry and a lamp postat around 1pm yesterday (August 4).
Both suffered life-threatening head injuries and had to be cut free from the wreckage by firefighters.
Parkway was closed between the Kings Road roundabout and the Out Risbygate junction while an investigation into what happened got underway. The road re-opened just after 8pm last night.
You may also want to watch:
Police have now spoken with and had contact from several witnesses and would like to thank those who have been in touch so far.
However, officers are still keen to hear from anyone who may have seen the vehicles prior to the crash or collision itself.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
The road is a busy route through the town, with several restaurants, fast food outlets, large car parks and a Cineworld along both sides of the 30mph dual carriageway.
The crash happened just metres from a pedestrian crossing, with dozens of people gathering around the scene.
The car is a BMW 3-Series in a metallic blue colour. The lorry cab is also blue, towing a blue trailer with a tarpaulin stretched over the top.
The BMW came to rest on the central reservation, with the lorry apparently travelling in the outside lane towards the Out Risbygate roundabout.
If you can help please call Suffolk Police on 101, quoting CAD number 171 of yesterday’s date, Thursday August 4.