Five stone later and Julie sets up her own Slimming World group in Little Downham
- Credit: Archant
A woman who lost five stone to become crowned Miss Slinky is setting up her own Slimming World club.
Julie Lofts-Constable said she used food as an emotional crutch and felt rubbish - so ended up eating rubbish.
“After a major operation on my liver in 2011, I started to gain weight. The recovery was hard both physically and mentally.
“The strain took its toll. Food became an emotional crutch, when I was tired or down, convenience was key.
“Takeaways and quick oven meals were the norm.”
The turning point came four years later in August 2015, after a close friend’s wedding.
“I was mortified when I saw photos of myself. I looked bloated and so unhealthy. I hadn’t realised the extent I had let myself go.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 7 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 8 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
“My clothes no longer fitted and I didn’t own a full length mirror. So had lived in denial.”
Julie knew something had to change. A leaflet came through the letterbox advertising the local Slimming World group.
The following week Julie, size 22 joined.
“Walking through the doors I was anxious and nervous, but this was soon dispelled, everyone was welcoming and friendly.”
The following week she was ecstatic on achieving her half stone award and within the month her stone award.
Since then Julie has achieved her target and five stone award.
She was crowned woman of the year and Miss Slinky at the local group she attends.
Julie finds food optimising fantastic and loves she can still have her favourite meals such as curries, full English breakfasts, burgers and fish and chips.
“Slimming world has totally changed my life,” she said. “I love the plan and lifestyle change. I am much more active, confident and happy with my body.”
Along her own journey Julie has inspired friends, family and work colleagues to join and follow slimming world and she now wants to help others achieve their dreams.
• Julie launches a Slimming World group in the Community Rooms, Little Downham on January 5 at 7.30pm. Call Julie on 07709-866775.