Five rioters who were hanged after Littleport and Ely Riots to be remembered with memorial procession
- Credit: Archant
The lives of the five protesters who were hanged after the Littleport and Ely Riots are to be remembered this month by a memorial procession.
Following on from the success of the events which celebrated the bicentennial of the riots, the Field Theatre Group, in conjunction with Ely Museum and St Mary’s Church is to host the event which will see actors, clergy, singers, a choir, dancers and artists come together to mark the history anniversary on Saturday June 25.
The event will begin with a performance from the Commoners Choir from Sheffield on the cathedral green beside the Lady Chapel from 10am.
Descendants of the five Littleport ‘Martyrs’ will then depart from Ely Museum where the condemned men spent their final days before departing to the gallows, and a banner bearing the name of each man will be carried in procession.
The procession will form up on the cathedral lawn for the short walk to St Mary’s Church.
You may also want to watch:
A guard of honour composed of members of the 363 motorcycle club – formed in memory of the five hanged men - will be in place at St Mary’s Church.
The bell of St Mary’s church will be tolled, just as it did during the last journey to the gallows of the five men, followed by a short service of prayer at the unmarked grave of the rioters.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Flowers will then be laid for each man by descendants and their families.
The Field Theatre Group’s brand new documentary film Riot in the Blood will be screened at Ely Museum at 1pm that afternoon.
For more information contact email@example.com visit Facebook: Littleport Riot 200.