Fisherman Will Present Gift Of Eels To Bishop Of Ely
EEL fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is preparing to make a 22-mile sponsored trip in his traditional Fenland punt, so he can present a gift of eels to the Bishop of Ely. Peter will travel from The Basin in Outwell, punting his way through Salters
EEL fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is preparing to make a 22-mile sponsored trip in his traditional Fenland punt, so he can present a gift of eels to the Bishop of Ely.
Peter will travel from The Basin in Outwell, punting his way through Salters Lode, Denver, and Littleport, until he reaches Ely.
"The money raised will be divided between East Anglia Children's Hospice and St Clement's Church in Outwell," said Peter.
"I am hoping to complete the journey over four days, travelling in my punt, and using a pole most of the way."
"I go eel fishing every day. Back in medieval times, all villages and churches had to pay their rates and taxes to the abbey at Ely in eels, eels were the money of the Fens.
"In those days, a village like ours would have paid about 40,000 eels a year. Ely Cathedral was built from the sale of eels to Peterborough Cathedral, who had the stone."
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 5 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
Peter keeps a variety of traditional Fen crafts alive. As well as being an eel fisherman, he is a willow merchant and mole catcher. He also practices hedge laying, wildfowling, and net making.
Peter, a churchwarden of St Clement's Church, is due to start his incredible journey on June 16th. He plans to join the St Etheldreda's parade in Ely on Saturday June 20th, when he will hand the eels to the Bishop. This year the Diocese of Ely is celebrating its 900th anniversary.
Sponsor forms can be found at Outwell Post Office, and the churches at Upwell and Outwell, or Peter can be contacted with pledges on 01945 772157.
Peter Carter punting with a load of eel traps. 2164SM59
Eel fisherman and churchwarden Peter Carter is planning to punt his way to Ely.2334SM59