First regatta in a century
ELY hosted its first regatta for more than a century on Saturday, with a packed programme that included sailing demonstrations, beginners rowing competitions and races. The Ely Classic regatta saw rowers compete over a traditional, pre-metric three-fur
ELY hosted its first regatta for more than a century on Saturday, with a packed programme that included sailing demonstrations, beginners' rowing competitions and races.
The Ely 'Classic' regatta saw rowers compete over a traditional, pre-metric three-furlong distance from a starting point near Cuckoo Bridge upstream towards Ely.
Derek Pickersgill, of the Isle of Ely Rowing Club, said: "No regatta has been held on the Ely Ouse since 1889, but this sad state of affairs was remedied on Saturday."
He said the event was organised by the Ely rowing club, along with the City of Ely Perspective group and Ely Sailing Club, and included rowers from the King's School and St Ives Rowing Club as well as Ely members.
Mr Pickersgill said: "The Isle of Ely Rowing Club wishes to acknowledge the invaluable help given by Hydro International in permitting access to the river and the Environment Agency for controlling water traffic for the event."
The prizes were presented by Ely mayor John Ison.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 5 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 8 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
The results were as follows: Women's junior 15 single sculls (King's School) - Maia Tanner. Men's junior single 14/15 coxed double sculls (Isle of Ely RC) - Charles Petchey, Jonathan Littlewood. Cox: Rodney Atkinson. men's mixed junior 14/15 coxed quadruple sculls (King's School) - James Scott, George Morton, Lawrence Dugdale, Natasha Calder. Cox: Lewis Porto. Women's coxed fours(St Ives RC) Joanna Wollen, Alex Clark, Rachel Gree, Carrie Wright. Cox: Gary Gilbey. Women's coxed double sculls (Isle of Ely RC) - Joanna Cotgrove, Cecilia Tridget. Cox: Angus Farelly. Men's coxed double sculls (St Ives RC) - Oliver Robinson, Gary Gilbey. Cox: Carrie Wright. Mixed eights - Marion Stone, Maria Cowell, Trevor Littlewood, Angus Farelly, Owain Harrison, Oliver Robinson, Alex Clark, Carrie Wright. Cox: Mark Goddard. Virus boat competition - Charles Petchey.