Second day of lockdown is first day at work for new postmaster
- Credit: Archant
Second day of lockdown for most but for Anil Verna it was his first today running the newly opened Ely Post Office.
It is based at Ely Traders at 7 St Mary’s Street after he took over and refurbished a former shoe shop.
Experienced postmaster Mr Verma also operates Grafton Post Office.
He said there was a dedicated area of the store with two screened positions, offering the full range of post office products and services.
“There is also a low-screened, modern post office till at the retail counter offering most post office products and services,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Opening hours are Monday to Saturday: 9am – 5.30pm
The premises, which had been empty, underwent a refurbishment to incorporate a stationery, gift, mobile accessories & repair store called Ely Traders.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
A new permanent ramp has been installed at the entrance to provide level access into the premises.
The previous branch at Central Hall, 52-54 Market Street, Ely, had been operated by a temporary postmaster and while the Post Office sought a permanent solution.
“This branch closed yesterday,” said a spokesperson for the Post Office.