Firefighters tackle barn blaze
- Credit: Archant
Faulty electrics caused a barn to go up in flames on Monday.
Firefighters from Ely, Littleport and a crew from Chatteris were called shortly after 3.30pm to a barn fire in Hive Road, Witcham.
A barn measuring 20m by 40m and 10m high was alight.
Firefighters creating a fire break between the fire and another nearby barn and extinguished the fire using jets and hydrants.
Crews dampened down the area and a fire investigation was carried out, with investigators concluding that the cause of the fire was accidental, by electrics.
You may also want to watch:
Station commander, Richard Dykes said: “When the first two crews from Ely and Chatteris arrived, they were faced with a barn with flames lapping through the roof. There were half a dozen other buildings surrounding the barn containing hay, straw and farm machinery and there were farm animals nearby. The first crews quickly got to work, sectorised the building and quickly made a really good impact.
“Quickly the fire was surrounded and a stop message was put in. Crews worked very well to contain this incident.”
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 4 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 8 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 9 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 10 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose