New on-call firefighters join stations at Sutton, Wisbech, Ely, March and Cottenham
- Credit: Archant
Eleven new on-call firefighters have joined fire stations at Sutton, Wisbech, Ely, March and Cottenham after completing a three-month training programme.
The latest group of on-call recruits passed out last month, in front of friends, family and instructors. They will serve their communities as fire-fighters around their work and home life.
The new recruits are now on-call after completing three months of training at Cambs Fire’s training centre in Huntingdon.
Group commander Gary Mitchley, head of on-call at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS), said: “We’re delighted to welcome the new recruits to the service.
“Being an on-call firefighter is a challenging yet rewarding opportunity, and we wish them the very best as they start their journeys here in Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
“We rely on the commitment and continued support of on-call firefighters and their families and we would like to thank every one of them who continues to give up hours of their time to serve the community.”
Gary added: “We’re always recruiting on-call firefighters across the county, and I’d encourage anyone who’s interested in finding out more to join us at our upcoming Have a Go days.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
“These sessions offer a fantastic opportunity for people to come along and have a go at some of the drills and exercises involved in training, and also a great chance for individuals to meet our firefighters and find out more about what the role involves.”
Next month Cambs Fire will be holding taster sessions for those interested in finding out more about becoming a firefighter.
The ‘Have a Go’ sessions will take place on Friday September 28 at Dogsthorpe Fire Station in Peterborough, and Saturday September 29 at Huntingdon Fire Station.
On-call firefighters have to be aged 18 and over, have a good level of all-round fitness and live or work within five minutes travelling time of an on-call fire station.
To book a place visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk or call 01480 444500.