Firefighters issue warning after barbecue spirals out of control and spreads to house

PUBLISHED: 09:33 18 July 2014 | UPDATED: 09:34 18 July 2014

Archant

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder to East Cambs residents to be mindful of fire safety when enjoying the sun after a barbecue caused a fire in Soham on Thursday.

Two crews from Soham were called shortly before 8.30pm to a fire in Mill Corner.

A barbecue was out of control and had spread to a house. Firefighters extinguished it using hose reels and returned to their stations by 9.30pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A spokesman said: “It is important residents put fire safety at the front of their minds when enjoying the warm weather.

“If you are having a barbecue, position it well away from your property, fences and foliage so that there is less chance of it spreading. Never pour accelerant on it and never leave it unattended.”

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists