Firefighters help after man suffers heart attack in Ely
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters rushed to the aid of a mourner at a funeral in Ely yesterday (Tuesday) after the man collapsed with a suspected heart attack.
The incident happened as the man was entering St Mary’s Church for the funeral of Standen’s employee Peter Reynolds who died recently from cancer.
A fellow mourner explained Mr Reynolds was previously a part-time firefighter and many of his former colleagues were also attending.
As the man, who is believed to be in his 70s and a long-time friend of Mr Reynolds, lay on the ground the firefighters provided first aid and administered CPR until the emergency services arrived.
The eyewitness said: “They knew what they were doing and helped the man until the ambulance crews got there. I’m sure their actions kept him alive until help arrived.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) said: “We were called at around 10.33am and despatched a land ambulance, rapid response vehicle and the air ambulance. The patient was transported to Papworth Hospital by land ambulance with the air ambulance providing escort.”
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze