Fire services battle residential fire in Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
Residents were told they could not return to their homes last night after a fire ripped through a block of flats in Newmarket yesterday.
Eight crews spent over an hour battling the blaze which had broken out at a block of flats in George Lampton Avenue.
West Suffolk fire services were called at around 7pm yesterday (April 9) to fire, which is thought to have started between the exterior and interior walls of the timber wood flats.
Two fire crews from Bury St Edmunds, one from Newmarket and four from Cambridgeshire battled the blaze for nearly an hour and a half before it was under control.
A spokesperson from Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: “We used our cobra equipment to tackle the blaze, which worked perfectly as the fire had started between the brickwork of the building.
You may also want to watch:
“No one was injured and everyone got out safely”.
Cobra was a new piece of equipment which was fitted to fire crews in west Suffolk back in March this year.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
The £240,000 cutting edge technology uses a mix of water and a cutting agent ejected at high pressure through a special nozzle on a lance to cut through building materials.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: “The fire service attended a fire last night at homes in a series of flats in Newmarket.
“As far as we can tell there is nothing suspicious about the fire.
“A number of residents were displaced. We attended just as support.”