Family home destroyed by fire in Burwell as community gather to offer support
- Credit: Archant
A family home that was destroyed by a fire in Burwell has led to a community joining forces to offer support and donations.
Five fire crews tackled the blaze in the roof of the bungalow in Silver Street on Sunday (August 26).
No one was injured and the cause of the fire was accidental.
Since the incident, residents have posted messages of support on The Burwell Community Page.
The owner of the house wrote: “Thank you for all the support on this page. In trying to sort ourselves out I have come up with a way that you could help.
You may also want to watch:
“My girls are both avid readers and have lost all their books and kindles. So I have written a list of books that if you have a spare copy you could give them.
“I have attached a photo of the list. I have no expectation of the books it’s just a way to help if you wanted.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“Thank you Burwell Community xx”
The Anchor Pub also offered their help to the family, writing a post on their Facebook page.
It read: “So sad to hear about the house fire in Burwell yesterday.
“Thankfully all the family and pets are safe and well. Our thoughts go out to them. So far there’s no particular drop-off point for donations or a just-giving type page but I will let you all know when I do.
“The girls are aged 10 and 13. The Burwell Community Page on Facebook will probably be the best place to keep an eye on updates.”
Two crews from Newmarket, one crew from Soham, one crew and the multi-star from Cambridge and one crew from Burwell were called.
A spokesperson from Cambs Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews arrived to find a fire in the roof of a detached single storey bungalow.
“Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used two hose reels and one jet to extinguish the fire.
“All crews returned to their stations by 12am.”