More than 40 firefighters tackle blaze at recycling centre in Milton
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are still tackling the blaze at Milton landfill site today (October 2) after tonnes of household waste went up in flames.
Crews from across Cambridgeshire and Suffolk arrived at the fire near Butt Lane around 6am yesterday, with a road closure still remaining in place.
More than 40 firefighters worked in sections to extinguish the burning household waste and machinery.
Nearby residents are advised to keep windows and doors closed as a precaution.
Schools and nurseries in the area remain open as usual.
You may also want to watch:
Parents are advised to use transport that will keep exposure to a minimum and keep car windows closed.
In a post on Facebook, Cambs Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Any smoke can be an irritant. Some substances present in smoke can irritate the lining of air passages, skin and eyes.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
“Respiratory symptoms include coughing, wheezing, breathlessness and chest pains.If symptoms occur, seek medical advice or call NHS 111.
“Chemicals in the smoke can worsen existing health problems like asthma. People with asthma should carry their inhaler.”
The neighbouring Milton Recycling Centre also remains closed.
Residents are advised to use an alternative recycling centre to dispose of household waste.