More than 40 firefighters tackle blaze at recycling centre in Milton
Firefighters are still tackling the blaze at Milton landfill site today (October 2) after tonnes of household waste went up in flames.
Crews from across Cambridgeshire and Suffolk arrived at the fire near Butt Lane around 6am yesterday, with a road closure still remaining in place.
More than 40 firefighters worked in sections to extinguish the burning household waste and machinery.
Nearby residents are advised to keep windows and doors closed as a precaution.
Schools and nurseries in the area remain open as usual.
Parents are advised to use transport that will keep exposure to a minimum and keep car windows closed.
In a post on Facebook, Cambs Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Any smoke can be an irritant. Some substances present in smoke can irritate the lining of air passages, skin and eyes.
“Respiratory symptoms include coughing, wheezing, breathlessness and chest pains.If symptoms occur, seek medical advice or call NHS 111.
“Chemicals in the smoke can worsen existing health problems like asthma. People with asthma should carry their inhaler.”
The neighbouring Milton Recycling Centre also remains closed.
Residents are advised to use an alternative recycling centre to dispose of household waste.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.