Fine for Burwell man over ‘unsafe’ work to gas boiler
- Credit: Archant
Two men have been fined for organising and carrying out illegal gas work as part of a construction job at a house in Exning.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found Anthony Hylins organised the installation of a gas boiler at a property in Exning, near Burwell, between January and May of 2014 after he had been contracted by the owners to build an extension.
He sub-contracted the job to Mark Smith who was not Gas Safe registered.
Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court heard Mr Hylins knew Mark Smith was not Gas Safe registered, but had expected him to attend the site with a registered engineer, who would oversee and sign-off on the work.
This is a practice that is banned by Gas Safe.
A subsequent inspection by Gas Safe found serious safety flaws with the Mr Smith’s boiler installation. There had been a significant gas leak; the cover of the boiler had been fitted incorrectly; and the flue had not been sealed correctly.
The appliance was made safe by a registered engineer.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
Anthony Thomas Hylins, of Railway Close, Burwell, was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge and £645.90 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching gas safety regulations.
Mark Smith of Exeter Road, Newmarket, Suffolk, was fined £1,000, ordered to pay a £100 victim surcharge as well as £645.90 in costs after admitting breaching gas safety regulations.
After the case, Health and Safety Executive inspector Ivan Brooke said: “HSE will not hesitate to investigate cases of unsafe and unregistered gas work and hold offenders to account.
“Householders should always ask for evidence of Gas Safe registration and/or check the Gas Safe Register online before allowing work on gas appliances. Gas work by people not competent to do so can expose people to risk of fire/explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.”