Ely Hero Awards 2018: After searching the city for inspirational individuals the finalists are revealed
- Credit: Archant
The finalists have been revealed for the Ely Standard’s Ely Hero Awards 2018 ahead of the ceremony on June 25.
After dozens of nominations were received, it was left to the judges to shortlist the final three for each category.
Here they are:
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
Most Amazing Professional
Dr Madeleine Piggott
Neighbour of the Year
David Learner – Mr Simms
Shelley Davies – Witchford Post Office
Javier Gomez-Serrano – Habis Restaurant
Child of Achievement
Colleague of the Year
Dr Hasna Kudilatt
The Ely Hero
Naomi Sherwood, business development manager from Metro Rod Cambridge who run the event in conjunction with the Ely Standard, said: “Following a very exciting and emotional final judges meeting we are thrilled to reveal the names of the finalists in The Ely Hero Awards 2018.
“The calibre of the finalists are exceptional, we have certainly uncovered outstanding treasures within the community of Ely and surrounding villages.
“Everyone can make a difference to a community and we hope that this year’s awards will once again encourage and embolden individuals to do this.
“The judging panel have gone above and beyond in the selection of the finalists putting so much hard work into the process so a huge ‘thank you’ to them.”
Jemma Tyler, 29, from Witchford, who is shortlisted in the Neighbour of the Year category, said she was ‘flattered’.
She has been a listening ear and someone who was is always on call for her neighbours.
Jemma said: “I have no idea who nominated me but I was told there were several people who did. It is very flattering but I was so shocked when I found out as I wasn’t expecting anything like that.”
The winners will be revealed at a ceremony at The Maltings on June 25.
BBC Radio Cambridgeshire’s Chris Mann will host the evening with entertainment provided by local duo ‘Elma Band’ and vocalist Kathryn Buck.