Film-lovers flock to the official opening of Cineworld Ely
- Credit: Archant
Ely hosted its very own premiere last night – but not of a film.
The red carpet outside Cineworld Ely was treaded by almost 200 of the city’s big names for the official opening of its new multi-screen complex – the city’s first major cinema since the closure of The Rex Theatre – at the Ely Leisure Village.
Moviegoers were treated to a showing of King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, which stars Jude Law and Charlie Hunham, but also a performance from King’s Ely’s Barbers acapella group before the film began.
The six-screen cinema, which opens to the public tomorrow (Friday May 12) will be run by manager Matt Shaw, who says he is delighted with the reaction it has received from the public so far.
“We’ve had a lot of positive interest from the local community,” he said,
“Social media has been fantastic and the general feel is that it could be good for Ely and everyone is very positive about it.”
The opening of the cinema has created 30 jobs and the new Cineworld Ely team is ready and raring to welcome movie-lovers in Ely, according to manager Matt.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
“We almost felt like filming the staff the first time they came in because of their reactions to seeing the cinema,” he said.
“They’re itching to start in terms of letting our customers in and speaking to them.
“I’m incredibly happy with the team I’ve recruited and the way they have presented themselves and how they have been interacting with the people of Ely already. It’s very promising.”
Among those in attendance at the grand opening were Mayor of Ely, Councillor Ian Lindsay, and newly elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, James Palmer, who cut the ribbon – or film reel – before the evening’s film began.
• Booking is now open at www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas/ely.