Fertility doctor voices concerns over IVF treatment in Cambridgeshire as survey is launched ahead of review
- Credit: Archant
A leading fertility doctor has raised concerns over “postcode lottery” IVF treatment in Cambridgeshire.
Dr Thanos Papathanasiou, from Bourn Hall Fertility Clinic, is concerned that Cambridgeshire residents are not getting the advice they need.
It comes as anyone with a GP in the Cambridge & Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) now has to pay for treatment, regardless of their income.
The clinic say that the “postcode lottery” is considered by many people to be very unfair.
Dr Papathanasiou said: “We are concerned that by removing IVF as an NHS treatment option, patients in Cambridgeshire are now less likely to have their infertility fully investigated.
You may also want to watch:
“This means that people who could benefit from other types of treatment such as medication or specialist fertility advice may not be receiving that support through the NHS.”
The decision to remove funding for IVF treatment is being reviewed by the CCG in May 2019.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
Cambridge-based Bourn Hall has designed a survey to capture information about peoples’ fertility journeys.
It will be shared with people that contributed to the 2017 petition and to others via social media.
The clinic will also be holding a Fertility Awareness Evening on March 6.
The survey can be found at www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CambsCCGBHC