Fate of cyclist who came within inches of being struck by train being decided by police
- Credit: Archant
A cyclist who came within seconds of being hit by a train at Waterbeach level crossing after ignoring red warning lights and a safety barrier has been interviewed by British Transport Police.
The driver of the 18.12 Greater Anglia Cambridge to Norwich train had to apply the emergency break before the cyclist stepped back, narrowly avoiding being struck.
British Transport Police put the cyclist on their ‘most wanted’ list and issued CCTV images – and film footage - of the incident.
The woman, 26, and from Cambridge, got in touch with officers voluntarily and was interviewed on Wednesday. A decision will be made by officers as to whether any further action is required in the coming days.
PC Matt Mildinhall, of British Transport Police, said: “This woman simply put her life on the line by not only ignoring the warning lights but went through the barriers and onto the line.”
You may also want to watch:
Jay Thompson, Greater Anglia’s head of safety, praised the driver for their quick thinking which prevented a tragedy.
He said: “The train driver reacted very quickly when he spotted the cyclist and took all necessary action in responding to this incident.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
“Not only was this incident very traumatic for the driver, but it could have resulted in the cyclist being killed. It is really important that everyone follows the safety instructions at level crossings.”
More than 100 trains a day travel through Waterbeach level crossing, reaching speeds of up to 75mph.