Fate of cyclist who came within inches of being struck by train being decided by police
- Credit: Archant
A cyclist who came within seconds of being hit by a train at Waterbeach level crossing after ignoring red warning lights and a safety barrier has been interviewed by British Transport Police.
The driver of the 18.12 Greater Anglia Cambridge to Norwich train had to apply the emergency break before the cyclist stepped back, narrowly avoiding being struck.
British Transport Police put the cyclist on their ‘most wanted’ list and issued CCTV images – and film footage - of the incident.
The woman, 26, and from Cambridge, got in touch with officers voluntarily and was interviewed on Wednesday. A decision will be made by officers as to whether any further action is required in the coming days.
PC Matt Mildinhall, of British Transport Police, said: “This woman simply put her life on the line by not only ignoring the warning lights but went through the barriers and onto the line.”
You may also want to watch:
Jay Thompson, Greater Anglia’s head of safety, praised the driver for their quick thinking which prevented a tragedy.
He said: “The train driver reacted very quickly when he spotted the cyclist and took all necessary action in responding to this incident.
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Letter: Football club remaining closed until June to help NHS
- 9 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 10 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
“Not only was this incident very traumatic for the driver, but it could have resulted in the cyclist being killed. It is really important that everyone follows the safety instructions at level crossings.”
More than 100 trains a day travel through Waterbeach level crossing, reaching speeds of up to 75mph.