Fatal disease due to asbestos exposure
A SOHAM man died from lung disease caused by being regularly exposed to asbestos while serving in the Navy 50 years ago. Francis Palmer, who earned a Royal Victorian Medal and two campaign medals, died at his home on Brook Street, Soham on March 31, at t
A SOHAM man died from lung disease caused by being regularly exposed to asbestos while serving in the Navy 50 years ago.
Francis Palmer, who earned a Royal Victorian Medal and two campaign medals, died at his home on Brook Street, Soham on March 31, at the age of 72.
At his inquest on Friday, coroner William Morris recorded a verdict of death through industrial disease.
Mr Morris said the death was caused by mesothelioma - a form of lung cancer which is commonly associated with exposure to asbestos - and bronchopneumonia - a form of pneumonia which involves bacteria invading the lungs.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Palmer served in the Navy between 1952 and 1959 as an engineer. He worked in boiler engine rooms on various ships and during this time he became regularly exposed to asbestos.
Pathologist Martin Goddard carried out the post mortem examination. He said: "Mr Palmer was regularly exposed to blue asbestos which is the most dangerous type.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
He added: "His exposure to asbestos was a long time ago, but it is commonly a 30 or 40 year timeline before asbestos exposure can cause disease.