Fantastic floral displays land Ely train station volunteers Barry and Sylvia with award
- Credit: Archant
Dedicated volunteers from Ely Train Station have won the ‘Best Staffed Station Award’ at Abellio Greater Anglia’s recent 2015 Station Adopters’ Awards.
Barry and Sylvia Line won the award for their amazing seasonal floral displays at Ely station, during an event held in Central Baptist Church in Chelmsford where more than 100 Station Adopters from across the Abellio Greater Anglia network gathered to celebrate the work they had carried out this year.
Recent recruits to the Adopter Scheme, Barry and Sylvia have worked hard to create beautiful platform displays.
This year the planters, which were filled with bedding plants, created a show stopping centre piece for the platforms.
Barry and Sylvia regularly dead head the flowers and together with the station staff, they keep the plants watered and cared for. Their hard work and attention meant that Ely Station bloomed all summer.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Goodrum, Greater Anglia’s Customer Service Director, said: “Our Station Adopters do an amazing job for us. The scheme is undoubtedly more popular at the rural stations but what Barry and Sylvia have achieved here is first rate and a shining example of how you can adopt a larger station and make something lots of people can enjoy.”
Abellio Greater Anglia operates a comprehensive Station Adopter scheme at its stations in Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk where volunteers from the local community contribute to the upkeep of their local stations, working with Greater Anglia and Community Rail Partnerships on colourful floral displays and in creating a more welcoming environment.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor