Family forced to flee home after blaze rips through home
A FAMILY of six were forced to flee their home in Wilburton after a freezer caught fire as they slept.
Fire-fighters from Sutton and Cottenham and Ely were called to the blaze at Station Road at about 12.40am
The family were already out of the home when crews arrived and the fire-fighters quickly entered the home to find a fire affecting a freezer in a utility room.
They extinguished the blaze, which is believed to have started as a result of an electrical failure, and returned to their fire stations by 1.35am.
Mike Fishpoole, watch commander at Cottenham Fire Station said: “Thankfully the family had a working smoke alarm which woke them while the fire was still small, allowing them to escape from the home safety.
You may also want to watch:
“As the family were asleep some distance from the utility room when the fire happened, it is unlikely that they would have woken up so quickly, if not at all, without it.”
For further information on smoke alarms, contact your local fire station or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk.
- 1 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 2 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 3 Boy, 14, to wear electronic tag and obey curfew after admitting harassment
- 4 Letters: No praise for Palmer, litter picker success and neglected roads
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 7 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 8 Firefighters tackle deliberate barn blaze for more than four hours
- 9 Family 'thrilled' as pair's lockdown locks raise charity cash
- 10 Ely City coach excited to return ahead of charity cup farewell