Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
A family made a lucky escape after a “devastating fire” ripped through their home.
Fire crews from Cottenham, Cambridge, Huntingdon and Bury St Edmunds were called at 8.18pm to Pheasant Rise in Bar Hill on December 2 to a well-developed fire.
"The fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly to other areas of the house,” Paul Clarke, station commander, said.
“An item on top of an electric hob was set alight following a ring being accidentally switched on.
“The plastic caught fire and quickly spread up the walls and throughout the kitchen, before spreading to the rest of the ground floor and the first floor.”
Firefighters extinguished the fire using hose reels, jets and a multistar aerial appliance to tackle the blaze from above, before returning to their stations at 1am.
Mr Clarke said the “devastating fire has caused significant damage to this family’s home.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Family business claims two awards in face of pandemic pressure
“However, the working smoke alarms in the property allowed the family to escape safely before the fire spread and thankfully no injuries were sustained.”