Family baffled by sighting of UFO
HAVE you seen anything strange in the skies above Littleport? A caller to the Ely Standard has asked for our readers help in finding an explanation for a UFO that hovered in the sky over her garden during a family barbecue. Sarah Edwards-Tooke has appea
HAVE you seen anything strange in the skies above Littleport?
A caller to the Ely Standard has asked for our readers' help in finding an explanation for a UFO that hovered in the sky over her garden during a family barbecue.
Sarah Edwards-Tooke has appealed for other witnesses to come forward after she saw an object in the sky at her Victoria Street home on Saturday, July 1, at 8.30pm.
"It was my dad's birthday and we were in the garden," said Mrs Edwards-Tooke, 31.
"It was a lovely day and there wasn't much cloud cover and I saw this thing in the sky and thought 'I've no idea what that is'."
She said her father Mike, who she describes as a "plane nerd" fetched a pair of binoculars, but was unable to identify the mysterious dark-brown shape, which he estimated to be floating 1,500ft in the air.
- 1 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 2 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
The family were unable to take any pictures because their digital camera was not charged.
"It was moving more or less east to west and the wind was going south to north - so it couldn't have been a balloon," Mrs Edwards said.
"It was crescent or wing-shaped, like a paraglider's parachute - dad said it had a teardrop-shaped body.
"We saw a plane going over afterwards that was considerably higher."
She said her father, her mother Mary, husband Jon and three year old Indigo all saw the object, which did not make any noise.
"I would like to make it absolutely clear that we're not saying it's aliens," Mrs Edwards-Tooke said.
"But I genuinely have no idea what it was."
A spokesman from nearby RAF Mildenhall said it was the first time he had heard of a UFO sighting in Littleport.
"I've been in communications for five years and it's the first one," he said.
"We fly re-fuelling tankers and we also fly helicopters, so it may have been one of those aircraft - we are not testing any new aircraft."
The police told the Ely Standard they did not receive any UFO-related calls on July 1.
INFO: If you saw the mysterious object above the skies in Littleport, contact the Ely Standard on 01353 667831, or you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org