Family affair for mayor
ELY Mayor John Ison has tied the knot with his long-term partner, Cheryl, 25 years after they first met. The couple married on Cheryl s 60th birthday in a ceremony attended by five daughters and two grandsons. John, of Prickwillow Road, Ely, former editor
ELY Mayor John Ison has tied the knot with his long-term partner, Cheryl, 25 years after they first met.
The couple married on Cheryl's 60th birthday in a ceremony attended by five daughters and two grandsons.
John, of Prickwillow Road, Ely, former editor of the Ely Standard, and Cheryl, of Whitstable, Kent were married and held their reception, complete with chocolate wedding cake, at Chilston Park Hotel in Maidstone, Kent.
They were attended by bridesmaid, family friend Phoebe Ryan, of Barton Road, Ely, and ringbearers, grandsons Jack Pearce-Connolly and David Ison.
The couple's daughters Cate, 33, Anne, 32, Andrea, 27, Rebecca, 24, and Helen, 23, joined the celebrations.
John said: "We were married in the same year that would have seen us celebrating our silver wedding anniversary if we had married all those years ago. But we didn't want to rush into anything!"
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 4 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 5 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 10 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
After the ceremony John and Cheryl left for a honeymoon in Florence, Italy.