Family affair for mayor
ELY Mayor John Ison has tied the knot with his long-term partner, Cheryl, 25 years after they first met. The couple married on Cheryl s 60th birthday in a ceremony attended by five daughters and two grandsons. John, of Prickwillow Road, Ely, former editor
ELY Mayor John Ison has tied the knot with his long-term partner, Cheryl, 25 years after they first met.
The couple married on Cheryl's 60th birthday in a ceremony attended by five daughters and two grandsons.
John, of Prickwillow Road, Ely, former editor of the Ely Standard, and Cheryl, of Whitstable, Kent were married and held their reception, complete with chocolate wedding cake, at Chilston Park Hotel in Maidstone, Kent.
They were attended by bridesmaid, family friend Phoebe Ryan, of Barton Road, Ely, and ringbearers, grandsons Jack Pearce-Connolly and David Ison.
You may also want to watch:
The couple's daughters Cate, 33, Anne, 32, Andrea, 27, Rebecca, 24, and Helen, 23, joined the celebrations.
John said: "We were married in the same year that would have seen us celebrating our silver wedding anniversary if we had married all those years ago. But we didn't want to rush into anything!"
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
After the ceremony John and Cheryl left for a honeymoon in Florence, Italy.