Fall in expenses claims as council continues to tighten its belt
- Credit: Archant
Total expenses claimed by councillors sitting on East Cambridgeshire District Council fell in the last financial year - by half a per cent.
According to figures released by the authority, councillors pocketed a total of £213,298.36 in the 2013/14 financial year, compared to a total of £214,379.08 claimed the previous year.
The total bill to taxpayers fell by £1,080.72 – or about 0.5 per cent year-on-year.
Compared with 2009/10, however, when councillors claimed £250,032.35, the 2013/14 total represents a drop in claims of almost 15 per cent.
The latest figures show that each councillor is entitled to a basic allowance of £4,127.99, with a range of additional allowances available to them, including subsistence, IT and travel expenses.
You may also want to watch:
By far the biggest claimant in 2013/14 was Conservative council leader James Palmer, who collected £13,634.06.
The second highest claimant was Cllr Tony Cornell, Conservative chairman of the council, who collected £8,187.52. Completing the top three was Conservative councillor for the Fordham villages, Michael Allan, who collected £7,826.33.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 5 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 6 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
A total of five councillors, of the authority’s 39 members, claimed not a penny more than their basic allowance: Conservatives Sue Willows, Christine and David Ambrose Smith, Liberal Democrat Lindsey Harris and unaligned councillor Ian Allen.
To view the expenses in full, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk