Fake Christams Tree Will Last Longer Says Council!
ELY S Market Square will be home to an artificial Christmas tree once again this year despite last year s well-publicised flop. A few hours of gusty winds were enough to topple the city s first artificial tree in 2009 causing widespread amusement, but the
ELY'S Market Square will be home to an artificial Christmas tree once again this year despite last year's well-publicised flop.
A few hours of gusty winds were enough to topple the city's first artificial tree in 2009 causing widespread amusement, but the City of Ely Council has announced it will, once again, purchase an artificial tree.
Ely mayor Richard Hobbs, told the Ely Standard: "An inspection of the tree last year proved that it was faulty and so this year we have asked that our new tree is thoroughly checked so it doesn't happen again.
"We would like to have had a real tree planted in the Market Place but so many vehicles use the area it would have been impossible so we decided to stick with an artificial tree.
"The council also agreed that it is much greener to have an artificial tree because it has a far greater life than a real tree which only lasts for the Christmas period."
A real tree was eventually purchased by the city council after winds brought down the artificial tree and mayor Hobbs confirmed that the council was in negotiations with the company involved to try and recover costs.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 7 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 8 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Real tree or artificial tree?
Write to: the Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4LS or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pic cap: The toppled artificial tree in December 2009.