Fake Christams Tree Will Last Longer Says Council!
ELY S Market Square will be home to an artificial Christmas tree once again this year despite last year s well-publicised flop. A few hours of gusty winds were enough to topple the city s first artificial tree in 2009 causing widespread amusement, but the
ELY'S Market Square will be home to an artificial Christmas tree once again this year despite last year's well-publicised flop.
A few hours of gusty winds were enough to topple the city's first artificial tree in 2009 causing widespread amusement, but the City of Ely Council has announced it will, once again, purchase an artificial tree.
Ely mayor Richard Hobbs, told the Ely Standard: "An inspection of the tree last year proved that it was faulty and so this year we have asked that our new tree is thoroughly checked so it doesn't happen again.
"We would like to have had a real tree planted in the Market Place but so many vehicles use the area it would have been impossible so we decided to stick with an artificial tree.
You may also want to watch:
"The council also agreed that it is much greener to have an artificial tree because it has a far greater life than a real tree which only lasts for the Christmas period."
A real tree was eventually purchased by the city council after winds brought down the artificial tree and mayor Hobbs confirmed that the council was in negotiations with the company involved to try and recover costs.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Real tree or artificial tree?
Write to: the Ely Standard, 38 Market Street, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4LS or email: email@example.com
Pic cap: The toppled artificial tree in December 2009.