Facilities improved at Ely Country Park in time for Easter
WORK has begun to improve facilities at Ely Country Park, with some improvements due to be in place in time for visitors using the site over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.
Better signage is being installed to mark the walking trails, the facilities at the fisherman’s car park are being improved, and the earth mounds for the slide is being stabilised.
East Cambridgeshire District Council will also be working with The Wildlife Trust and local volunteer group Ely Wildspace, to encourage wild flowers and develop a possible bat habitat on Ely Common.
The fisherman’s car park at the end of Willow Walk was closed for four days this week while resurfacing was carried out in time for Easter, and the mound, crumbling due to weather and use, was due to have been repaired by this weekend. At the car park, a dedicated disabled parking space and cycle racks are being installed.
Councillor Richard Hobbs, Chairman of the Community and Environment Sub-Committee, said: “The Country Park is becoming more and more popular with residents and visitors to East Cambridgeshire – it has firmly established itself as place which people enjoy and treasure. To ensure it continues to flourish we are working on a number of improvements to improve facilities and develop areas for wildlife – a lot of this work has already been started with the help of The Wildlife Trust and ‘Ely Wildspace.
You may also want to watch:
For more information please call 01353 665555 or visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 4 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 5 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 6 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays