“Excellent role model” Destiny is in the running for Young People’s Award
A SOHAM Girl Guide so impressed her leaders during a weekend camp, they immediately earmarked her as an outstanding candidate and an “excellent role model” for the work she does for others.
Now, 18 months later, 15-year-old Destiny Avey-Walters devotes many hours and weekends for voluntary work and has been entered for the Ferrier Pearce Young People of the Year awards.
Destiny, from Mereside, Soham, was nominated by her cousin Abigail McMahon because of all the hours she puts into those less fortunate.
Abigail said: “I would like to nominate Destiny for the way she helps others, even when it means she gives up her free time. It shows that she is always thinking of other people first.
Destiny was chosen to support SPICE (Special People In Cambridgeshire East), which covers a large area of East Anglia. This is a special Girl Guide group for girls with disabilities, mental health needs, sensory impairment and social interaction difficulties.
You may also want to watch:
She is a ‘buddy’ and partners members on a one-to-one basis for whole weekends at a time.
SPICE leader Sandra Copping believes Destiny is very deserving of praise for the way she puts other first.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 3 'Support this local attraction,’ MP urges on museum visit
- 4 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 5 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 9 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 10 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
Sandra said: “Destiny regularly buddies a young girl with many needs and they have become good friends at the events. Destiny is kind, patient and helpful and supports a very energetic girl who needs lots of support.
“Destiny is a lovely happy kind girl and an excellent buddy. She is an outstanding candidate and an excellent role model for the work she does for others.”
As well as volunteering for SPICE, Destiny also helps at a holiday club in Soham for children aged 5 to 11. The club, called Playscheme, was under threat of closure due to a lack of volunteers. Destiny decided to volunteer to help it stay open.
All YOPEY prizes are shared with the community. So the Cambs Young Person of the Year will win �800 �400 for themselves and �400 for their good cause.
Second place will win �400, similarly shared..
To nominate logon on to yopey.org or write to YOPEY, PO Box 236, Newmarket
CB8 1DP for paper entry form. This YOPEY closes to entries on August 31.