“Excellent role model” Destiny is in the running for Young People’s Award
A SOHAM Girl Guide so impressed her leaders during a weekend camp, they immediately earmarked her as an outstanding candidate and an “excellent role model” for the work she does for others.
Now, 18 months later, 15-year-old Destiny Avey-Walters devotes many hours and weekends for voluntary work and has been entered for the Ferrier Pearce Young People of the Year awards.
Destiny, from Mereside, Soham, was nominated by her cousin Abigail McMahon because of all the hours she puts into those less fortunate.
Abigail said: “I would like to nominate Destiny for the way she helps others, even when it means she gives up her free time. It shows that she is always thinking of other people first.
Destiny was chosen to support SPICE (Special People In Cambridgeshire East), which covers a large area of East Anglia. This is a special Girl Guide group for girls with disabilities, mental health needs, sensory impairment and social interaction difficulties.
You may also want to watch:
She is a ‘buddy’ and partners members on a one-to-one basis for whole weekends at a time.
SPICE leader Sandra Copping believes Destiny is very deserving of praise for the way she puts other first.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 7 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 8 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
Sandra said: “Destiny regularly buddies a young girl with many needs and they have become good friends at the events. Destiny is kind, patient and helpful and supports a very energetic girl who needs lots of support.
“Destiny is a lovely happy kind girl and an excellent buddy. She is an outstanding candidate and an excellent role model for the work she does for others.”
As well as volunteering for SPICE, Destiny also helps at a holiday club in Soham for children aged 5 to 11. The club, called Playscheme, was under threat of closure due to a lack of volunteers. Destiny decided to volunteer to help it stay open.
All YOPEY prizes are shared with the community. So the Cambs Young Person of the Year will win �800 �400 for themselves and �400 for their good cause.
Second place will win �400, similarly shared..
To nominate logon on to yopey.org or write to YOPEY, PO Box 236, Newmarket
CB8 1DP for paper entry form. This YOPEY closes to entries on August 31.